Sunday, December 27, 2009

Saying farewell to 2009...

What a year this has been! 2009 was a year of change and growth. It was a year to renew relationships and to let other relationships go. It was a year of great challenges and even greater rewards.

When I look back on the growth of Dallas this year, I cannot help but be amazed once again. One thing Dallas does is amaze me every day. His heart, his personality, his sense of humor, his attitude towards life all amaze me. I was looking at some video with a friend of mine today and it hit me that last January on his 11th birthday he had just learned to smack his lips together in order to kiss someone. Can it be possible that this happened for the first time less than a year ago? Wow.

A year ago we were still trying to encourage Dallas to come out of his shell a bit more, to let other people get close to him, to go out in the community with someone other than mom. Now as we bring in 2010, we have to teach him boundaries...let's just say he learned all that a little too well! He is VERY outgoing now, always happy to get out and about with his friends. What a difference 2009 made!

Other changes occured in our family...we had to let some people go and this left room in our hearts to reach out to old friends. Our family dynamics totally changed. I had to let go of wanting certain things done "my way" in order to let my husband be more involved in the household and especially in raising Dallas. I think it was always easier for us both to just let me take control and make all the decisions regarding Dallas' therapy, discipline, etc. Tom went to work six days a week and I worked when I could around the family's needs. This was no longer possible in 2009 and thus a shift had to occur. I'm not going to say it's been easy but it has been well worth it. Tom has less pressure financially and I have less pressure about making all the decisions regarding Dallas. All-in-all, we are less stressed as a family.

I'm sure 2010 holds even more changes, more challenges and more rewards. I think we're ready to find out just what awaits us in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment